607GWh
renewable energy produced
equivalent to the consumption
of 182 thousand families
-16%
carbon footprint
for energy production compared
to 2015, aiming at -23% by 2022
2.3
million
tons of greenhouse gas avoided

Electricity and thermal energy production plants from renewable sources

Herambiente produces heat and power from the combustion of waste (considered a 51% biodegradable source), through ten waste-to-energy plants with a total installed electrical capacity of over 120 MW. Three of these waste-to-energy plants, moreover, recover thermal energy to supply district heating networks. The Ferrara district heating network, in addition to recovering heat from the waste-to-energy plant, also uses geothermal energy drawn from the wells in Casaglia which is, in fact, its main source.

Herambiente owns the biodigesters at Cà Baldacci (Rimini), Voltana di Lugo (Ravenna) and Cesena, each with a capacity of 1 MW. In addition, the biogas exploitation plants at 9 landfills are still active, as is the biomass plant managed in Faenza by Enomondo, 50% ownership of which is held by Herambiente.

The plants for recovering energy from treatment sludge (biogas) in Bologna, Cesena, Forlì and Savignano sul Rubicone (Forlì-Cesena) are also part of the integrated water system.

HeraSpa also operates four turboexpanders, located in Bologna, Forli, Ravenna and Ferrara, which generate electricity by exploiting the gas pressure differentials in the distribution network.

Herambiente produces heat and electricity from the combustion of waste, in its ten waste-to-energy plants with a total installed electrical capacity of over 120 MW. Nine of these waste-to-energy plants are dedicated to municipal waste and, as described in greater detail below, the energy they produce is considered to be 51% renewable (biodegradable share of waste treated). Three of these waste-to-energy plants, moreover, recover thermal energy to supply district heating networks. The Ferrara district heating network, in addition to recovering heat from the waste-to-energy plant, also uses geothermal energy drawn from the wells in Casaglia which is, in fact, its main source.

Herambiente owns the biodigesters at Ca’ Baldacci (RN), Voltana di Lugo (RA) and Cesena, each with a capacity of 1 MW. In addition, the biogas exploitation plants at 9 landfills are still active, as is the biomass plant operated in Faenza by Enomondo, in which Herambiente has a 50% stake.

The plants for recovering energy from purification sludge (biogas) in Bologna, Cesena, Forlì and Savignano sul Rubicone (FC) are also part of the integrated water system.

Hera Spa also operates four turboexpanders, located in Bologna, Forli, Ravenna and Ferrara, which generate electricity by exploiting the gas pressure differentials in the distribution network.

Hera Spa has a 10% equity investment in Aloe Spa, the owner of 8 photovoltaic solar facilities in the provinces of Bologna, Ferrara, Ravenna, Brescia and Macerata, for a total capacity of 7.2 MW. The solar photovoltaic systems installed in Hera Spa’s offices and facilities of Bologna, Ferrara, Imola, Faenza, Cesena and Ravenna add a total of 150 kW besides those installed at the Herambiente plants of Mordano (BO), Voltana (RA), Coriano (RN), Pozzilli (IS), and Rimini add a further 1.7 MW. AcegasApsAmga operates three photovoltaic solar facilities with a total output exceeding 100 kW, a turboexpander that generates 2 MW, a natural gas cogenerator with a nominal electricity output of 500 kW and two biogas cogenerators installed at major purification plants, that generate about 500 kW.

Lastly, we note the new plant to produce energy from waste in S. Agata Bolognese, inaugurated in 2018, to produce biomethane from the organic fraction of separate waste collection (we estimate around 7.5 million m3 of methane/year).

In addition to the above renewable energy production plants, Hera also runs plants that efficiently generate energy (with nominal fuel utilization factors over 80%); among these, the 85 MW cogeneration plant at Imola stands out, as well as 9 smaller cogeneration and trigeneration plants, for an additional total installed capacity of 27 MW of electricity.

MW 2018 %
Renewable electric power 92 30%
Electric power cogeneration + turboexpanders 148 49%
Other 64 21%
Total electric power 303 100%
Renewable thermal power

53

8%
Cogeneration thermal power 125 18%
Other 507 74%
Total thermal power 662 100%

Electric power: renewable electric power includes 51% from waste-to-energy plants (the share considered renewable), biogas and photovoltaic; the Other item includes 49% from waste-to-energy plants (the share considered non-renewable). Thermal power: renewable thermal power includes 51% from waste-to-energy plants (the share considered renewable), biogas and geothermics; the Other item includes 49% from waste-to-energy plants (the share considered non-renewable) and thermoelectric power stations.