Hera: supporting companies and households: COOPERATION AND CLOSENESS
Sustainability for usAccountabilityResponsible projects and services
Hera for companies: putting our know-how at the disposal of local businesses
Hera Group promotes energy efficiency also by cooperating with other companies. In such cases, Hera's team puts its know-how at their partners' disposal to provide support at the energy audit stage, the aim being to follow through with the implementation of energy efficiency measures and, as a result, obtain white certificates. Hera Spa has entered into agreements with trade associations in the areas it serves, collaborating with companies within the scope of the requirements of Italian Legislative Decree 102/14 on energy audits. At the end of 2019, 25 agreements were in place with local trade associations and businesses.
Between 2007 and 2019, we presented 123 projects with external partners to obtain white certificates. These totalled 373,630 toe, equivalent to the consumption of about 237 thousand households.
A few situations we addressed:
- For BPER, Hera continued collaborating on implementing a new energy efficiency management system for its sites, designed to save about 220 toe per year.
- For Bonfiglioli Riduttori of Bologna, Hera collaborated on the development of Nearly Zero Energy Buildings, which will save 86 toe/year.
- For Siot, Hera collaborated on improving the efficiency of the San Dorligo della Valle (TS) crude oil pumping station, which will save 22 toe/year.
Also, via its subsidiaries Hera Servizi Energia and AcegasApsAmga Servizi Energetici the Hera Group works actively in energy efficiency improvement services, mainly addressing condominiums (offering them a range of energy efficiency improvement solutions, including a system that provides individual metering of the heat and energy service), large industrial customers (for which it operates as an ESCO), and the public administration market (heat management with renovation of thermal plants and buildings). In particular, in the industrial cogeneration sector, Hera offers multi-year energy supply contracts that include building and operating electricity and thermal energy production plants designed to meet all the energy needs of its top customers.
As of the end of 2019, we operate 18 cogeneration plants, four of which are trigeneration plants. The environmental benefits achieved in 2019 by these plants achieve primary energy savings of about 9,542 toe.
AcegasApsAmga Servizi Energetici implemented 68 refurbishment measures in 2019, saving 263 toe.
Hera for households: commercial offers for smart energy use and the uptake of renewable energy
In 2019, our commitment to environmental sustainability, energy efficiency, and renewables increased further as also reflected in Hera Comm's commercial offers for household and business customers that include value-added services that enable consumption monitoring and reduction:
- The"Consumption Diary" report (almost 450 thousand electricity and gas contracts include this innovative solution), which monitors energy consumption over time, and also compares it with similar households. This tool was updated in June 2019, with new and more user-friendly language, optimised content, a redesigned layout to facilitate readability, new algorithms to aid comparisons with similar and better-performing customers, and a new section that explains the environmental impact of the consumption behaviour of individual customers. The Consumption Diary is a free service that Hera Comm makes available to its customers and that helps them compare their energy consumption with that of a family that is similar to their own in terms of size, province, and energy use (for residential customers). By using this report, users can also compare their consumption with that of the same period of the previous year and receive advice on how to optimise their energy use. All the data is also accessible on the platform and in the specific section of the MyHera app.
The service, which is already active for electricity, gas and district heating, was extended from October 2019 on an experimental basis to a sample of over 100 thousand residential water service customers.
- The Hera LED option (over 10 thousand contracts have chosen this innovative solution) can be combined with several free market offers from Hera Comm, both for those signing a new contract and those who are already customers, and allows users to buy one or two kits of ten LED bulbs for each contract at a 30% discount off their market value. Replacing an incandescent bulb with a high-efficiency LED bulb results in up to 80% of energy savings. As stated in the technical specifications of the products, a 9 W LED bulb replaces a 60 W incandescent bulb. Therefore, if we consider an average daily use of 4 h/day, the consumption of a LED bulb is about 13 kWh/year compared to 88 kWh/year for an equivalent incandescent bulb, a significant saving both for the bill and for the environment.
- Hera ContaWatt (more than 2,200 contracts have chosen this innovative solution) is the option that helps residential or business customers monitor their electricity consumption. The easy-to-install device connects to an electricity meter via a sensor and its dedicated app shows electricity consumption on smartphones, tablets or PCs and sends a summary email with consumption details every week. ContaWatt connects independently to its data transfer platform and can report anomalies in real-time on the app or via email. Installation does not require specialized personnel.
In addition to these offers, there is also Hera Thermo, the option that helps users monitor their home gas consumption thanks to a smart, remotely controllable thermostat. Using it leads to greater attentiveness of consumption behaviour. Its app lets users check the temperature set for their home and check the operation of their boiler at any time. This ease of control improves awareness and reduces waste, both by decreasing the set temperature during certain periods of the day and by optimizing the system's on/off cycles that previously were required to obtain the desired conditions in the premises. Studies have shown that a 1 °C reduction of the set temperature in a house can save 5 to 10% of gas during the winter (source: Enea).
In addition to the “Pacchetto Natura” tariff, which already provided electricity from renewable sources, we launched “Hera Impronta Zero” in June 2019. The offer includes electricity from renewable sources and compensates for the gas used by customers by purchasing carbon credits that support CO2reduction projects. At year end, 20.0% of customers had contracts that provided renewable electricity, almost twice as many as in 2018. 5.2% of customers chose to offset emissions from their gas consumption. Overall, contracts with "green" offers totalled 11.6% in 2019.
Once again in 2019, as an extra-ordinary measure, Hera purchased enough electricity from renewable sources to fully cover the consumption of all of Hera Comm's free market household customers, not just those with the Pacchetto Natura option or with the Hera Impronta Zero offer. The transaction, which involves the purchase of Guarantee of Origin (GO) certificates ensuring that the energy comes from renewable sources, was made possible thanks to the availability and price conditions such as to be able to cover the 1,698 GWh, corresponding to the total consumption of households who are free market customers of Hera Comm.
Considering also the renewable energy sold by Hera Comm to companies that voluntarily chose a more sustainable energy profile, and that sold to Group companies, in 2019 Hera sold 2,005 GWh of renewable energy, equal to 20% of the total electricity sold in the free market.
Seleziona il tuo comune