Supplier qualification and assessment is regulated by the checking of the technical, economic, and organisational quality requirements, compliance with environmental and safety regulations and corporate social responsibility requisites, as well as acceptance of the Group Code of Ethics. Furthermore, the supply contracts drawn up by the Group include termination clauses linked to the failure of suppliers to comply with the principles of the Code of Ethics. Therefore, all the qualified suppliers are subject to this assessment system.
The Hera Group’s supplier qualification process has been formalised within a specific procedure, by means of the establishment of a single list of reliable economic operators, handled by the Procurement and Tenders Department of Hera S.p.A. As and when necessary, the suppliers to be invited for the performance of the negotiated procedures are selected from this list. Therefore, the suppliers are selected for all the Group companies on the basis of qualification requirements divided up into:
- standard requirements: identical for any commodity category;
- specific requirements: linked to a specific commodity category.
Among the various criteria identified by the Group for the qualification and selection of the new suppliers, of particular importance are those of an environmental and social nature, for example:
- declaration of acknowledgement and acceptance of: the Code of Ethics; General Quality-Safety-Environment Regulations for contractors and/or autonomous workers operating for Hera; Quality, safety and environment policy; Personal data protection policy; Social responsibility policy SA 8000 and Energy policy;
- fulfilment of the safety obligations envisaged by Italian law;
- observance of the current legislation referring to the right of the disabled to work;
- presence of employees facing social hardship within the company workforce with respect to the total;
- enrolment in the Regional Register of Social cooperatives;
- declaration of full knowledge of the SA 8000 standard and Hera’s Social responsibility policy, and of commitment to comply with the principles and requirements included in the same and with the participation in monitoring and audit activities envisaged by the Hera Group, as well as the assessment of any corrective measures required;
- possession of the following system certifications: ISO 9001; ISO 14001; OHSAS 18001; SA 8000; ISO 50001;
- possession of the certificate of enrolment in the National register of environmental operators, pertinent to the precise activities of the commodity group;
- possession of enrolment with current validity, care of the pertinent Prefecture for the sectors of interest identified by the Prime Minister’s Decree dated 18 April 2013, in the list of the suppliers not subject to mafia infiltration attempts (so-called white list), otherwise presentation of a formal commitment to request the same.
Furthermore, for the purpose of ensuring the business operations and only in exceptional cases, the Group foresees the possibility of making exceptions, in the following cases:
- casual suppliers: in the event of needs motivated by reasons of experimentation, it is possible to issue just one purchase document vis-à-vis an uncertified supplier. These “casual” suppliers, in order to be able to receive additional purchase orders, will have to obtain qualification in observance of the Hera Group;
- exclusive suppliers: in the event of indispensable needs, it is possible to issue purchase documents vis-à-vis a qualified supplier, on an exclusive basis;
- procedure for purchases using order vouchers: purchase of goods on a case by case basis for a modest economic value, issuing order vouchers on suppliers with which there are specific agreements or even lacking specific agreement;
- procedure for other purchases which, having considered their nature (for example: legal, notarial, courier or translations costs) do not require the prior qualification of the suppliers. Otherwise the purchase must be appropriately registered in accordance with the rules established by the Group.