62.5%
sorted waste
over an area with 3.1 million
inhabitants
93%
waste recovered
the amount of sorted waste
recuperated, going towards
a circular economy
150
thousand tons of CO2 avoided
with the plastic recycled
by Aliplast

The recovery of material and energy in Herambiente's sorting plants

The selection plants treat the municipal and special waste coming from separate waste collection and from industrial or artisan manufacturing in the province in which they are located. The objective of the process, which uses more or less complex technologies and treatment lines according to the type of waste to be treated, is to recover the greatest possible amount of material from the incoming flow and reduce reliance on landfills. These systems recover: paper/cardboard, plastic, wood, metal, glass, biodegradable waste (pruning material), tires, textiles, inert materials. The treatment lines used are specific to the characteristics of each collection. Five of the 6 plants have computer vision systems that are particularly efficient in selecting plastic and paper from municipal waste both in terms of flow (hourly quantity of waste treated) and in terms of the quality of the material obtained by the selection.

The scrap of the treatment, the so-called non-reusable fractions and non-reusable material are dispatched to be used for energy recovery or to be disposed of.

In 2018, Herambiente’s selection and recovery plants handled 425,775 tonnes of waste (+14.5%), the quantity treated and sent for recovery of material was 73.6% of the incoming waste, the portion used for energy recovery was 3.6%, for an overall recovery of 77.2%. The material recovery level confirms the upward trend compared to previous years. A portion of the of non-reusable fractions is used for energy recovery, about 13% in 2018. The project to implement crushing lines to increase the non-reusable fractions for energy recovery is still under way, the crushing process was started up and became fully operational in 2018 for the Granarolo plant, while the authorization process was started in Modena and we expect, compatibly with any requests for further documentation, that it will start in the second half of 2019.

Destination of total waste treated – Herambiente’s selection plants

 

2016

2017

2018

Waste sent for recovery of material (t)

268,035

270,862

313,318

Non-reusable fractions outgoing (t)

108,204

101,044

112,457

of which for energy recovery

27,571

12,368

15,153

Total treated in selection plants

376,239

371,905

425,775

% of waste sent for recovery of material on total quantity of waste treated

71.3%

72.9%

73.6%

% of waste sent for recovery of energy on total quantity of waste treated

7.3%

3.3%

3.6%

% of waste sent for recovery on total quantity of waste treated

78.6%

76.2%

77.2%